No Battle. No Victory.
David fought them from dusk until the evening of the next day, and none of them got away, except four hundred young men who rode off on camels and fled. David recovered everything the Amalekites had taken, including his two wives.1 Samuel 30:17-18 NIV
You must first fight before you can recover all. There are two key things to note concerning fighting for recovery:
- You cannot possess what you can’t pursue.
- You cannot conquer what you don’t confront.
The word WAR occurs 227 times in the bible.
The word BATTLE occurs 98 times in the bible.
The word ATTACK occurs 91 times in the bible.
This proves that we are not on earth for the fun of it, nor did we appear upon the earth because we chose to. From the womb to the tomb, from birth to death, there are always forces fighting, waring, battling and attacking every child of God. You must be on your guard to confront them and take dominion.
As Christians, we need to know that there is a battle coming up every day and we must fight the good fight of faith to remain victorious.
There is battle on-going in the spiritual realm every minute. You cannot win a battle you did not fight. If there is no test, there will be no testimony. If there is no trial there will be no triumph. If there is no battle there is no victory. There must be something you will conquer before there will be a victory.
You don’t need to invite battle to come your way, they must surely come. When you go to a doctor and he gives you a negative report about your body, you’re facing a battle with your health. If you used to have a peaceful family and suddenly your family turns into a war zone, your family is facing a battle threatening peace in your household.
As a child of God, you must be battle ready at all times and when you take up the gauntlet to fight, you must fight to win, you must fight to recover all.
Reasons why we must fight a battle
You must fight your battles so that you will not become enslaved to the will enemy. If the enemy brings the fight to you and you turn around and flee, you are showing the enemy your back and have already conceded defeat before even the battle begins.
Some of the things the devil use to enslave you
- SIN: Sin cannot have dominion over you, devil’s plan is to enslave you to sin.
- SICKNESS: Devil’s plan is to enslave you to sickness.
- PAIN AND AFFLICTION: the Devil wants you to get used to pain
- HABIT: The devil wants you to be enslaved to bad habits because you are an instrument of honour in Gods’ hand. Habit is a prison and it can imprison you to a limit to what you can do as a person. Some bad habits like anger, immorality, gossip, watching pornography, stealing, lying etc. The devil does not fight what does not terrify him. He wants to put you in a cage.
- POVERTY: The devil wants to enslave you through poverty.
- DISAPPOINTMENT AND FAILURE: You can be enslaved to failure.
What Kind of Fight Should You Fight?
Except for self-defence, defending a loved one, defending the nation, defending the Word of God, you are not permitted as a Christian to engage in any physical fight with anyone. Physical fights and brawls affect your credibility as a Christian or a preacher.
1 Timothy 6:12 lets us know that our fight a fight of faith. It is not a fight of fists and knuckles. It’s not a brawl or combat. it’s not a show of physical strength. it is a fight of the mind to free it from the enslavement of the power of this age.
In 2 Timothy 4:7, Paul wrote that he fought the good fight and finished his course. We are expected to fight a good fight and not a public humiliating one.
We’re told in 2 Corinthians 10:4 that we don’t fight physical entities but spiritual ones. As Christians, our fight with our knees. There are battles we fight in the night that control the rest of the day, don’t forget to observe your regular night watch.
Weapons God has Provided Us to Fight With
- WISE COUNSELLING: See Proverbs 24:6. You cannot wage war effectively when there is no spiritual voice directing you. There are some decisions like who to marry, relocating to another region etc. which you do not just take on a whim. Every destiny is geographical. You cannot fulfil in America a destiny that God has designed to be fulfilled in Nigeria. You need to consult your spiritual head or pastor before you embark on such life-altering decisions.
- WISDOM: See Ecclesiastes 9:16. Wisdom is better than strength. Wisdom is the principal thing to wage war. When you operate with divine wisdom, victory becomes inevitable. Lack of wisdom can bring you to a place of defeat.
- WORD OF GOD: See Acts 12:24, Joshua 1:8. Always confess the Word of God positively, it can grow and multiply. The word of God is the battle of faith, it is very powerful as the word is in your mouth. When you equip yourself with the Word of God, you create something. Speak only that which you want God to do for you. Speak positive things
- PRAYERS: See Acts 25:7. If you want to win the war of life, fight with prayers. Always have a prayer life. Lack of prayers is why Christians loose battles.
- BLOOD OF JESUS: Revelation 12:11. The blood of Jesus already has wrought a victory for us and is a powerful tool to fight the devil. Pleading the blood of Jesus in time of trouble summons unparalleled and unmatched power for victory.
- TESTIMONY: See Revelation 12:11. We overcome by the words of our testimony. When you testify you charge your faith. Always testify what the Lord has done for you.
- THE NAME OF JESUS: See Phillippians 2:9-11. At the mention of the name of Jesus every knee bows in defeat. The name of Jesus works unimaginable wonders of victory for us. Being conscious of the power in the name of Jesus is enough to secure us the victory we expect.
- GIVING: See Acts 10:4. When you are a habitual giver, you make heaven constantly watch over all your affairs and render victory for you even before the battle begins. When you are a giver, there are still battles you can win naturally without even lifting a finger.
- RIGHT WORDS: 1 Samuel 25:22-23. Abigail was able to stall a total wipeout of her household at the hands of David as he had already sworn to make good his promise of destruction. But she approached David courteously with the right words and melted his resolve. Learn to speak with courtesy. The humility of speech is a sterling quality. The words you speak can either bring problems your way or solve permanently.
- SACRIFICE: 2 Kings 3:26-27. The power of sacrifice, don’t give to God what doesn’t cause you pain. Your sacrifice fights your battle for you.
- HONOURING YOUR PARENTS: See Ephesians 6:1. It deals with premature death, take care of your parents always, be a blessing to them, make them to always shed tears of joy that they gave birth to a blessing like you. When you obey your parents, long life will be automatic.
- OBEY PRINCIPLES OF GOD: See Deuteronomy 28:1-2. When you obey God’s principles you don’t need a sacrifice. Saul disobeyed the instructions; Samuel gave to him that is why he ended up like that.
Principles that Give Total Recovery
Some of the principles of God you must obey if you must fight to recover all are:
- Pay your tithe.
- Pay your first fruit.
- Obey your parents.
- Invest in the kingdom.
- APPLY COMMON SENSE: See Proverbs 2:11. There are battles you fight with just your common sense. It’s not every little thing you must begin to pray about. Yes, God is interested in the outcome of every little battle you fight but that does not mean He wants to fight them all for you. There is a reason He commanded man to “be fruitful and multiply; fill the earth and have dominion.” If you have to run to God over the slightest threat to your victory, where then is your dominion?
- LOVE: See 1 Corinthians 13:4-8. Love is an instrument you can use to fight and always win because love conquers all.
This sermon was preached by Dr Wilberforce Oti and transcribed by Grace Okorie.