This is a message to women on issues that are relevant to maintaining a healthy and happy marriage. May this thought-provoking message cause every Christian woman and man to rededicate themselves to the union which they have entered into. It will also cause women planning to enter into marriage to get off on the right foot.
The Encarta Dictionary defines “submission” as “giving in to another’s authority, control or demands”. The NIV Bible renders it as “yielding” . Dictionary.com defines it as “to be humbly obedient” . Being a submissive wife will not only be a blessing to those involved but will also serve as an example to our children and the rest of the community.
However, being a submissive wife is no easy task. God knows it is not natural for women to submit. That is why He gave the command in Eph 5:21-25 for wives to submit to their husbands. In the same vein it is not natural for men to love their wives.
Submissive wives are often viewed as weak, unable to speak for themselves or make their own decisions. On the contrary, women that submit to their husbands are being obedient to the Lord’s will. A submissive wife does not bow to her husband, she helps him by the way she supports him and devotes herself to him. She is a suitable companion and his dear friend. Proverbs 12:4 says:
“A wife of a noble character is her husband’s crown, but a disgraceful wife is like a decay in his bones.”
Being a submissive wife is another big part of enjoying a harmonious home.
Jesus Christ is our perfect example on how to be submissive. In Philippians 2:4-10, we read that:
“…who being in the form of God did not consider it robbery to be equal with God.”
Wives are not slaves but equal to their husbands but there has to be orderliness at home which is why husbands are the head.
Learning to Be a Submissive Wife
Make sure you love your husband entirely despite his flaws. This does not mean you must allow yourself to be mistreated in anyway. Simply do not criticize his ways but offer helpful advice in a polite and non-offensive manner.
- Be respectful : respect comes when you truly love your spouse. You should respect his opinions, decisions, and ideas. Again, if these in any way brings you harm in a manner that contradicts the Word of God, you should not approve them. If there is a decision you do not agree with, talk it over with him in a calm manner.
- Be aware that the man is the head of the household as written in Ephesians 5:23.
- Never make big decisions that affect both of you without your spouse knowing first. This will only bring conflict between you.
- Serve you husband in a cheerful manner.
- Remember, being a submissive wife does not mean you are a dumb wife. Allow yourself to learn, grow, be goal-oriented and follow your dreams.
- You must be a praying wife. This will help you to be submissive.
I pray you this day to be a submissive wife and your marriage will be a heaven on earth.